Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

October Unprocessed

My husband and I are participating in Eating Rules, October Unprocessed challenge. I thought it would also be a good opportunity to work on one of my goals this year- meal planning. I decided that I'd keep a list of meals I'd like to make this month and work off of it. I'm picking something that sounds good and checking it off the list each day, instead of deciding which day we'll eat what…like on a calendar…I'm too finicky to stick to that kind of plan. I'm trying and creating a lot of new recipes, too. The zucchini biscuits are one of the winning recipes so far, as was the rice & bean bake.

I'll be updating this list as I try more recipes. Here's what we're planning on eating so far-

Breakfast:
Breakfast Cookies made like granola bars, in an 8x8 pan
Granola
Pancake Apple Rings with Pancake Mix

Lunch:
Leftovers from dinner
Fruit on the bottom yogurt- inspired by this post
This soup- with lots of veggies dumped in for good measure

Snacks:
Hummus, no oil, made with northern beans
Chocolate Pudding
Seedy Crisps
Cheddar Coins

Dinners:
Tried & Yummy!-
Homemade Tomato Soup & Zucchini Cheese Biscuits
Rice & Bean Bake
Tofu & Whole Wheat Pasta with Peanut Coconut Sauce-based off of this
Spicy Tuna Melts on Whole Wheat Baguettes with Oven Fries
Patlajan Gouvej with Brown Rice Pilaf
Vegetable Stir Fry with brown rice
Grilled Pizzas with Whole Wheat Dough & veggies & mozzarella
Baked Sweet Potatoes w/ Organic Salted Butter & a Mixed Green Salad with carrots, celery, green pepper, & red onion with this Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing
Pumpkin Lasagna
Barley Tomato Risotto with Pea & Chive Pesto
Pasta E Fagioli - Bean and Pasta Stew with Greens

On deck-
Fried Egg with Collards & Barley- based on this
Garlicky Bean Enchiladas with homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas
Potato Frittata with mixed green salad
Eggplant Meatballs with Roasted Garlic Orecchiette & basic tomato sauce
Vegetable Pad Thai
Koftas with Veggie Burger instead of turkey & Homemade Pitas
Pumpkin Soup in a pumpkin with Zucchini Cheese Biscuits
Open Face Veggie Burger Sloppy Joes with BBQ Sauce on Whole Wheat Baguette with Oven Fries
Baked Vegetable Omelet with mixed green salad
Pumpkin Pasta
Meatless Meatloaf
Hummus Melts
Lentil Sloppy Joes
Red Gratin
Squash Crostini-Made with "mock" ricotta (cottage cheese drained & pureed)

Some notes-
-I've decided to use baking powder even though it's considered *processed*- I would like to try this, though
-Using only whole wheat & white whole wheat flour
-Not using any sugar- instead date puree, local honey, black strap molasses, or maple syrup
-Using some cow's milk (homogenized) but substituting with unsweetened almond milk whenever I can
-Using only butter as a fat, and a little EVOO

There are a lot of opinions about what's processed or not…I'm following my own path about it and using some semi-processed ingredients based on what I have readily available and some necessary conveniences.