Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Oreo Cookie (Crumbs): Valentine Treat Part 1

Here's part one of my decadent valentine treat. I think I will keep you in suspense for part two. I'll only be using these cookies for crumbs for my Valentine's dessert, but I will give you the full cookie recipe in case you want to enjoy a whole O-R-E-O. Enjoy!




1 cup sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp butter (I always cook/bake with Smart Balance)
1 egg
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 oz square bakers chocolate 
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups cake flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 


Cream sugar and 1/2 cup butter. Add egg and cream again. Melt chocolate square with 2 tbsp. butter. Add chocolate and cocoa powder to creamed mixture. Add dry  ingredients. Mix just until combined. 


Scoop 1 tsp. mounds of dough, 2 inches apart, on parchment lined cookie sheets. Dip a flat-bottomed glass into warm water and gently flatten the cookies- just slightly. 


Bake for 11 minutes. Let cool on raised cooling rack until they crisp up.


To make them into crumbs…well, just crumble them up! 


To make them into OREOS:


Filling: 
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
2-2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. vanilla


Blend butter, shortening, and vanilla. Beat in sugar until it makes a thick frosting, adding a little at a time. 


Spread on half of cooled cookies. Top them off with another cookie.


If I were you, I'd let them sit out on a nice plate for most of the day to give them a chance to harder up (the cookies & the filling). Do this if you you want them to be crunchy (like an OREO), and if you can stand to leave them alone for most of the day. 


I will warn you though, their chocolatey aroma makes it difficult to walk past them without touching….maybe just taste one…


Makes about 20 sandwich cookies.